August 11, 2000

Martha's Vineyard, MA

by Gregory 'Bassie' Jackson

Greetings from Martha's Vineyard… yeah… the Spear tour continues… don't have a lot of time though to write today… been hitting it hard… at the moment its me, Micah… who's machine I'm using… Tom our driver… Gene… riddim guits… and James… Trumpet… sharing a house overlooking water… next to a lazy road… the sound of gravel under car tires… cracking and popping…

James is stretching out… Gene is watching mad about you on the t.v… my clothes are spinning in the dryer downstairs… no… nothing in the fridge… hummm… and where is Micah… I think in his room relaxing…

Past few days we were in Ithaca… hot place… the haunt… no… I'm not joking… it was so hot the power amps in the dressing room felt like a furnace… after our first show… we could have roasted some corn and fed everybody up in that place… laughs…

But I must say the few days out in Great Barrington were sweet… we had a day off… and many of us found things to do… tune into nature…

Steven… celebrated his birthday… I had mine a few days before… and Micah's is coming up soon… bunch of Leos up in this band… smile…

Steven seemed very relaxed… lying in a hammock…

Cecil… who is our shutterbug… took a bunch of nice shots of him… Me… I had a chance to bounce out to the Twin Lakes… and rent a row boat… me and Cecil… I got my workout in… Cecil… well… he gave up after we got tangled in some weeds… laughs… we went back to the dock… and got a power boat… and tore up the lake a bit… later we dozed off on the dock… after having some ice tea… the cool breezes was sweet…

Mr. Rodney… busy as usual… many interviews and things…

And yeah… our last night up there in the woods… Sylvan and Tedo bubbled up some food… nice vibes…

The music… man… it is tight… I tell you… it was a pleasure to play in the intimate environs of the Helsinki club… I could feel Stewart's touch on the keys… and I was right on top of Mikey… on the drums… things got real tight…

Micah's got his horn… and our transport to sound check is in a few minutes… I'm up here in my shorts… and gotta find my pants… so I'm going to jet outta here… I know Chris… and Virgo have hooked up things nice at the club… so I want to get there… and do my thing… yunno…

Till next time… guidance and protection as you make your journeys…

Peace and love… from the road… Gregory "Bassie" Jackson